CSR and Sustainability Reports have come a long way, mostly. With increasing numbers of private sector organisations than ever before now formally producing non-financial reports, and amidst an energetic evolution of reporting frameworks, 3BL Media wanted to facilitate the exploration of how the best companies engaged with stakeholders.
We invited Henk Campher, SVP Business + Social Purpose, and MD Sustainability at Edelman and Guy Morgan, Director of Advisory Services at BSR to share their expert knowledge and fuel a 60 minute #3BLchat powered debate.
In the relatively short time period the conversation covered many of the major aspects of reporting communications and engagement, and received direct insight and best practice examples from professionals at global giants such as Cisco, Dell, SAP, Sodexo, AMD and Marks & Spencer.
As expected there were strong recurring themes around balancing data provision with storytelling, how to sustain communication all year round, understanding varying stakeholders preferred communication channels and how to inject disruption and innovation into the process.
Hereâ€™s a brief sample of the conversationâ€¦
For a full list of the questions, Henkâ€™s and Guyâ€™s answers, plus highlights from the community check out our Storify version here.
- Total reports now over 6500 (but 180 million businesses out there)
- First time reporting numbers peaked at just over 1200 in 2010
- Around 50% of all reports are from European organisations
Resources shared and by whom:
- 14 Twitter Chat Pro Tips by 3BL Media
- CR Perspectives 2013 by Corporate Register
- Corporate Responsibility in Action â€“ â€˜Postcards from Peruâ€™ by Symantec
- The CSR Report and Effective Stakeholder Engagement by Harvard Law School Forum
- Cisco 2013 CSR Report via 3BL Media
- Beyond sustainability reports: the state of play in CSR by @ChristineBader via The Guardian
- Sappi Fine Paper North America Report 2012 via 3BL Media
- Creating change from 2008 to 2012 via Adobe CR Reports website
- Environmental Sustainability by Eli Lilly
- 4 top sustainability reporting trends for 2014 via @GreenBiz
Guy Morgan (@gnmorgan77):
- Sustainability Storytelling: Creating a Narrative that Matters via BSR
- Three Half-Truths of Sustainability Reporting in an Era of Social Media via BSR
- Integrated Report, or Integrated Reporting? via BSR
- Non-Financial Reporting via European Commission
- The Case for Sustainability Reporting: Does Size Matter? by @ElaineCohen
- 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility Report (inc Brazil territory) by Cisco
- Focus Area: Supply Chain, Multiplying impact by setting high standards for suppliers by Cisco
Tim Mohin (@TimMohinAMD)
Shared Value (@SVInitiative)
- Measuring Shared Value – How to Unlock Value by Linking Social and Business Results via Shared Value
- Auchan “Selfscan Report” via Vimeo
John Friedman (@JohnFriedman) â€“ Sodexo
- Inside Sodexo â€“ Fiscal 2013 Report by Sodexo
Adam Elman (@adamelman) â€“ Marks & Spencer
- Will social media save or kill sustainability reporting? by @AronCramer & @GreenSolitaire via The Guardian
- Brave New World: The Impact of Social Media Networks on Sustainability Reporting via BSR
Iliyana Stareva (@IliyanaStareva)
- Calgary Zoo 2012 Annual Report via Instagram
Gareth Kane (@GarethKane)
- Glencore reveals record of fatalities and environmental fines via The Guardian