Here at Social Earth, we believe education is fundamental to our existenceÂ andÂ in the 21st century, that basically means, personal computersÂ are fundamental to our existence.Â While we here in the ‘developed world’Â takeÂ education andÂ all its toys (ie. computers) Â for granted, there are millions of children around the world who have never seen much less touched a basicÂ PC.
Can you think about that for aÂ second?
Very discouraging indeed.
Well One Laptop per Child (OLPC)Â is a program which is working diligently to reverse this social ill and has made significant progress. We encourage you to check out their program and consider getting involved in the revolution!
Here isÂ Mr. Negroponte at Ted describing the foundation of OLPC.
- One Laptop per Child (OLPC), a non-profit organization, provides educational opportunities for impoverished children around the world via the XO-1 Laptop, a durable, low-cost computer designed for use in developing countries. OLPC, officially organized in 2005 by Nicholas Negroponte, has distributed laptops to children in approximately 40 countries around the globe.
- Organization Type: Non-Profit
- Website: www.laptop.org
- Founder(s):Nicholas Negreponte, Charles Kane, Seymour Papert, Alan Kay
- Founded: 2005
- Location:Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- See complete company list here